Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancers in men. Usually, prostate cancer is slow-growing and confined to the prostate gland, where it often responds well to treatment. Prostate cancer that’s detected early has a better chance of successful outcomes.
What Tests are Used to Screen for Prostate Cancer?
Men should take control of their prostate health, which includes having regular prostate screenings, beginning around age 50. Men with higher risk factors (such as a family history of prostate cancer) may need earlier screenings.
Tests to screen for prostate cancer include:
- Blood tests: The prostate makes a protein called prostate-specific antigen (PSA), which is measured by a blood test. If the PSA is high, the patient may have prostate cancer, but other factors (including an enlarged prostate) can also cause elevated PSA levels.
- MRIs: MRI scans of the prostate and/or whole body are a highly accurate, non-invasive methodology to pinpoint the location(s) of cancer so it can be targeted more accurately and successfully. Busch Center excels at MRI screenings, which are typically non-invasive, with noneedles, contrast dye or radiation used.
At Busch Center, we opt for accurate, noninvasive MRI screenings.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Prostate Cancer?
Many men do not experience any prostate cancer symptoms in the early stages, but as a prostate tumor grows, they may notice:
- Changes in urination patterns (e.g., more frequent urination, difficulty urinating)
- Blood in the urine or semen
- Impotence/erectile dysfunction
Since prostate cancer is frequently asymptomatic, regular screenings are the only way to truly know if cancer is present or not.
Once a patient’s scans are complete, Dr. Busch reviews their specific case with them at their appointment to explain what’s happening, show them their scans, answer their questions, and determine the next step based on the results. Working with our visible radiologist means no waiting, wondering and less worrying.
Busch Center’s talented, experienced team works with each patient to keep them comfortable, informed and optimistic through every step of their health journey.
Take control of your health! Contact us today to set up your prostate MRI screening.